East Oldham Middle School Dress Code
Students should be dressed appropriately for school. The following are the guidelines for school attire:
- Sleeveless or low-cut tops are not permitted. Cleavage is NOT to be shown.
- Cold shoulder shirts are permitted as long as the strap over the shoulder is at least 3 fingers wide. Spaghetti straps and straps that tie at the top of the shoulder are not allowed.
- No short shirts that expose the midriff area.
- If multiple layers of shirts are worn, the outer shirt must stay on shoulders at all times.
- Words printed on the seats of students’ pants, shorts, skirts, etc. are not allowed
- No torn clothing, or clothing with holes.
- Any items of clothing that are deemed “see through” will be a violation if underwear is overtly visible.
- Items of sleepwear may be worn only on a designated pajama day.
- Skirts, shorts, or baggy clothing that may result in indecent exposure are not allowed. Slacks and shorts are to be worn at the waistline. Items cannot be shorter than the student’s fingertips when their arms are relaxed at their side. This includes the TOP of slits as well as the TOP of frayed edges of shorts or skirts.
- Yoga pants/leggings/jeggings are permissible if a shirt/sweater worn covers the seat of the pants and front.
- Clothing or accessories (i.e. bracelets, necklaces, etc.) that promote/advertise drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, extreme violence, vulgarity or displays suggestive slogans are not permitted
- Items that can be deemed dangerous or inappropriate are not permitted.
- Gloves are to be worn during the school day during outside activities only.
- Headwear (hats, bandanas, sweatbands, etc.) is not to be worn in school unless we have a designated hat day.
* Parents may apply for an exemption to this policy for recognized cultural/religious headwear.
- Excessive or offensive markings on skin or clothing are not permitted.
- Any other items deemed inappropriate or disruptive by administrators or teachers will be subject to change or removal.
The above guidelines also apply to school dances.
If a teacher observes that a clothing style is possibly in violation of the dress code or substantially disruptive to the education process, the Violations of School/Board policies in this handbook will be followed. This may involve having the student alter the style, go to the office for approval, call parents for a change of clothing, or change into school-provided attire. Tape will not be used to cover holes in any article of clothing.
Students will be re-admitted to class when the problem has been corrected. Students may be sent to AIM until they are able to comply with the dress code. The right to wear particular types of clothing may be taken away from students who violate the dress policy.
Our dress code is based upon common sense and reason. If you are in doubt concerning what may or may not be worn to school, ask your teacher, counselor, or principals. They will be glad to help.
EOMS Dress Code - Word Document
EOMS Dress Code - PDF File